Monday, August 27, 2012

Easy Pillow Case Tutorial


I'm big on changing.  It's exciting to me...something new to look at makes me smile :), and one super cheap update to make is to recover pillows. This is {for me} the easiest pillow case to make.  Seriously, you can do it in 10 minutes if you have a smidge of sewing know-how, or if you are a beginner, it's a great project to start with!  

Annnnd please realize I am NO sewing expert!  My terms are not technical, and my measuring methods unconventional.

Don't let the pictures overwhelm you.  I'm a very visual person, and love a ton of images...but I know for some it may seem that if there are too many pictures, it must be too difficult.  Not the case here, I promise!  These are the only steps:
1.  Wrap the pillow, cut the fabric
2.  Hem top and bottom edges
3.  With fabric wrong side out, overlap the hemmed edges about two inches in the center
4.  Sew the edges together, creating a giant inside-out envelope

That's it!  So, here it goes with the pictures and details...you can do this!

Grab any pillow, or buy a new pillow insert, and about half a yard (for a 16x16 pillow) of awesome fabric.  The fabric pictured was purchased here
Lay the fabric, print side down, and the pillow in the center, 

Then fold the edges over your pillow, meeting in the center of the pillow.  You need about 4-6 of overlap here to be safe.  Cut away any excess.


 Next you'll need to cut the long sides.  I give at least 2 inches here...again to be safe!  So, measure out two inches from each side of the pillow and cut away the excess.  If you are covering a 16x16 pillow, you should have a rectangular piece of fabric approximately 38 inches long, and 20 inches wide.  


Now it's time for a simple hem!  Hem the short sides (20" for the 16x16) to have nice finished edges.  These edges will be where the envelope closure meets.  Fold over the fabric about 1/2", and sew a straight light next to the raw edge. 

 You can pin here, but it's a short hem, and isn't necessary.  I just hold it at either end and guide it through.  Like this :)

Your hemmed edges will look like this.  Remember..ONLY hem the short sides!  We will take care of the long sides next :)  {Aren't my 4 year old's hands adorable??}


We're almost done!  Already :):)  Lay the fabric down print up, and fold each hemmed edge over to come together in the center...

Make sure to let the edges overlap at least 2 inches...

Place the raw edge 1/2" from the needle on the sewing machine, and run it back through the machine :)  This will close the open edges, making it a complete case.  Here's a look at the case after all sewing is done.  If you have too much fabric between the seam and the raw edge, cut a little off.  
 Reach in through the envelope closure, pinch the corners and pull them through the opening. Best thing about this case--NO hand seaming!

 Stuff the case with the chosen pillow, and you're done!  Here's the back:

 And the front..

  Easy breezy!    I finished this in 10 minutes, and as previously stated, am no sewing expert.  Oh, and around minute 7, this happened
{"Mahhhhh-meeee!  I speeelled it allll!!" she wailed.}
  
  You can completely change the look of your living room in about an hour using this method!  Go on, try it, and share some pictures :)  

What are some sewing questions you have?  Anything you're hung up on?  I'll help with any knowledge I have!  
Thanks for stopping by :)

2 comments:

  1. Love it! I need to do this sometime. I have a sewing machine that hasn't really gotten any use. I pinned it :)

    - Kendra thedarlingblog.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kendra! If only I could have one semi-viral pin, ;)

      ....and your blog is beautiful!

      Delete